Safety is Wohlsen Construction’s #1 Core Value
Wohlsen Construction Company has in place a formal Safety and Health Program administered and led by our Director of Safety and Health and supported by Safety Managers. While the Safety and Health Team is responsible for the administration of the Program, it is the responsibility of all Wohlsen Construction Company employees from the Senior Executive Level to field craft labor to ensure that the requirements and provisions of the Safety & Health Program are executed on a daily basis. Safety is the most important of the five Wohlsen Construction Company Core Values.
Wohlsen Construction Company has both a vision for the Safety & Health Program as well as a formal policy statement developed and endorsed by the Senior Management of the Company. The vision and policy as taken from our Safety & Health Manual are as follows:
Wohlsen’s Safety Vision
- Safety will be incorporated in all decisions and activities.
- Every employee will feel empowered and act to stop or prevent unsafe work activities.
- Wohlsen will be a preferred employer for workers seeking safe and healthy work conditions.
- Wohlsen’s safety culture and results will help promote a favorable competitive position.
Wohlsen considers no phase of operations or administration of greater importance than safety and loss prevention, and believes accidents that result in injury or illness and damage to property and equipment represent needless waste and loss.
It is the policy of Wohlsen Construction Company to conduct all operations safely and, thereby, prevent injuries and illness and damage to property. Safety is stressed with every Wohlsen employee through published safety guidelines, a fleet driver safety program, safety awards, and a hazard communication program. Wohlsen’s substance abuse policy includes pre-employment, random and post-accident drug testing. Everyone entering a construction site, for any reason, will be required to comply with the Wohlsen Safety Program, the client’s safety and security requirements, and all federal, state and local safety standards and requirements, including OSHA.
Wohlsen Construction has been recognized by numerous industry associations for its commitment to safety:
- National Associated Builders and Contractors Excellence in Safety Award
- National Associated Builders and Contractors STEP Safety Award – Platinum Level
- Governor’s Safety Award from Delaware Contractors Association
- New Jersey Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health Recognition Award
- Raffles Insurance Safety Pacesetter Award
- NAWIC Chapter 96 Contractor Safety Excellence Award
- Accredited Quality Contractor (AQC) from Associated Builders and Contractors
- Full-time Safety and Health Director
- Two full-time Safety and Health Managers
- Annual safety meetings and weekly safety reports to the entire company
- Consistently low Experience Modification Ratings (EMR)