Wohlsen Construction typically hires eight to 12 summer interns and co-ops. They work as project engineers, estimators, marketing assistants and IT technicians and are employed across four regions. We meet and recruit students during career fairs from over a dozen campuses within our Mid-Atlantic footprint. As a result, approximately 100 students are rigorously screened for the coveted positions. This ensures the selection of only the highest caliber of students.
What You’ll Be Doing
Wohlsen prides itself on a highly-formalized intern/co-op training program. This program is designed to incorporate the student as a contributing member of the team. To achieve this, each internship/co-op program typically consists of the following:
- Training and orientation to the company and its culture on the first day.
- Assignment of a mentor who takes the student under his or her wing. The mentor introduces their student to the company and trains them to complete their work assignments.
- A customized checklist of items to accomplish or learn is issued to each intern/co-op. In addition, the student is expected to keep a daily log of items they complete.
- Wohlsen’s interns and co-ops hold weekly meetings. Each student is responsible for facilitating one of these meetings. This involves creating an agenda and delivering a short presentation on something they learned on the job.
- Half way through their summer, they will have a 1-on-1 progress review with the Training Coordinator.
- To close out their internship or co-op, each student presents a report detailing their accomplishments and what they learned. In addition, the intern/co-op’s supervisor will complete a performance appraisal on them.
What You’ll Get From It
Wohlsen’s training program consistently receives high marks from interns and co-ops. They frequently comment on how they were assigned real, critical responsibilities, and not just busy work. As a result, our interns and co-ops feel that they made valued contributions. Due to our rigorous selection process and formalized training, Wohlsen can identify the students who would be a great addition to the Wohlsen team. Because of this, we extend full-time offers to a majority of our interns and co-ops upon graduation.
To learn more about our program from recent interns, watch this video.
View Current Internships and Co-Ops with Wohlsen Construction.